sábado, 14 de novembro de 2009

"The Big Sleep" - 1946



Vivian: Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to see them workout a little first, see if they're front runners or comefrom behind, find out what their whole card is, what makes them run.
Marlowe: Find out mine?
Vivian: I think so.
Marlowe: Go ahead.
Vivian: I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.
Marlowe: You don't like to be rated yourself.
Vivian: I haven't met anyone yet that can do it. Any suggestions?
Marlowe: Well, I can't tell till I've seen you over a distance of ground. You've got a touch of class, but I don't know how, how far you can go.
Vivian: A lot depends on who's in the saddle.

"The Big Sleep" e esta conversa, em particular, vão ficar para a História como a maior partida, como a maior rasteira ao Código Hays. Porque enquanto Preminger lutava para destronar essas leis, e conseguiu, Hawks rodeava-se de grandes argumentistas e fazia passar coisas como "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" e "Monkey Business", sem ter um problema de censura que fosse. O Marlowe e a Vivian falam de cavalos. Pois, pois....

Sem comentários: